Difference between revisions of "Category:Young Women General Presidencies"
(created the page)
m (1 revision imported)
Latest revision as of 03:19, 17 February 2016
The Young Women is the official organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for girls between the ages of 12 and 18. It is part of the church's General Auxiliaries. It was founded as the Young Ladies' Department of the Cooperative Retrenchment Association in 1869. In 1871, the name was changed to the Young Ladies' Retrenchment Association. It was again changed a few years later to the Young Ladies' National Mutual Improvement Association. It wasn't until 1880, however, that a general presidency was organized to oversee the organization for the entire Church. The name was changed a few more times (Young Ladies' Mutual Improvement Association and Young Women's Mutual Improvement Association) before finally being organized as the Young Women in 1974.
The organization is led by a General President and her two counselors. Each stake and ward also has a presidency that oversees the organization within their respective units, but this category focuses on those at the Church-wide level.
The numbers in the parentheses are their years of service as the General President.
- Elmina Shepard Taylor (1880-1904)
- Martha H. Tingey (1904-1929)
- Ruth May Fox (1929-1937)
- Lucy Grant Cannon (1937-1948)
- Bertha S. Reeder (1948-1961)
- Florence S. Jacobsen (1961-1972)
- Ruth H. Funk (1972-1978)
- Elaine A. Cannon (1978-1984)
- Ardeth G. Kapp (1984-1992)
- Janette Hales Beckham (1992-1997)
- Margaret D. Nadauld (1997-2002)
- Susan W. Tanner (2002-2008)
- Elaine S. Dalton (2008-2013)
- Bonnie L. Oscarson (2013- )
- Cannon, Elaine Anderson. "Young Women." Encyclopedia of Mormonism. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company, 1992. Pages 1616-19. http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Young_Women (accessed 23 Aug 2015).
- "Young Women (organization)." Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Women_%28organization%29 (accessed 23 Aug 2015).
- Peterson, Janet; Gaunt, LaRene. Keepers of the Flame: Presidents of the Young Women. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1993.
- "Presidents of the Young Women Organization through the Years." Ensign (Jun 2008). https://www.lds.org/ensign/2008/06/presidents-of-the-young-women-organization-through-the-years?lang=eng (accessed 23 Aug 2015).
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. "Young Women Guidelines and Leadership Training." LDS.org. https://www.lds.org/callings/young-women?lang=eng (accessed 23 Aug 2015).
- _______. "Young Women." Mormon Newsroom. http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/young-women (accessed 23 Aug 2015).
This category currently contains no pages or media.