Difference between revisions of "Category:Relief Society General Presidencies"
m (6 revisions imported)
Latest revision as of 03:19, 17 February 2016
The Relief Society is the official women's organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and is part of the church's General Auxiliaries. It was founded as the Female Relief Society of Nauvoo in 1842. Emma Smith was elected president and she chose Sarah M. Cleveland and Elizabeth Ann Whitney as her counselors. The organization is led by a General President and her two counselors. Each stake and ward also has a presidency that oversees the organization within their respective units, but this category focuses on those at the Church-wide level.
The numbers in the parentheses are their years of service as the General President.
- Emma Smith (1842–1844)
- Eliza R. Snow (1866–1887)
- Zina D. H. Young (1888–1901)
- Bathsheba W. Smith (1901–1910)
- Emmeline B. Wells (1910–1921)
- Clarissa S. Williams (1921–1928)
- Louise Y. Robison (1928–1939)
- Amy B. Lyman (1940–1945)
- Belle S. Spafford (1945–1974)
- Barbara B. Smith (1974–1984)
- Barbara W. Winder (1984–1990)
- Elaine L. Jack (1990–1997)
- Mary Ellen W. Smoot (1997–2002)
- Bonnie D. Parkin (2002–2007)
- Julie B. Beck (2007–2012)
- Linda K. Burton (2012-)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Daughters in My Kingdom: The History and Work of Relief Society. Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, 2011. https://www.lds.org/relief-society/daughters-in-my-kingdom (accessed 4 Sep 2014).
- ----. "Relief Society." Topics. http://www.lds.org/topics/relief-society (accessed 1 Aug 2013).
- ----. "Relief Society History." Mormon Newsroom. http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/relief-society-history (accessed 1 Aug 2013).
- ----. "What is the Relief Society?" FAQ. http://mormon.org/faq/relief-society (accessed 1 Aug 2013).
- Mulay-Derr, Jill; Beecher, Maureen Ursenbach; Cannon, Janath R. Women of Covenant: The Story of Relief Society. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book, 1992.
- Mulvay-Derr, Jill; Cannon, Janath R. "Relief Society." Encyclopedia of Mormonism. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company, 1992. Pages 1199-1206. http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Relief_Society (accessed 29 Jun 2015).
- Nauvoo Relief Society minute book. The Joseph Smith Papers. http://josephsmithpapers.org/paperSummary/nauvoo-relief-society-minute-book (accessed 1 Aug 2013).
- Peterson, Janet and LaRene Gaunt. Elect Ladies: Presidents of the Relief Society. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book, 1990.
- Relief Society. Charity Never Faileth: History of Relief Society, 1842-1966. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book, 1966.
- Winder, Barbara W. "Relief Society in Nauvoo." Encyclopedia of Mormonism. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company, 1992. Pages 1207-08. http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Relief_Society_in_Nauvoo (accessed 29 Jun 2015).
Pages in category "Relief Society General Presidencies"
This category contains only the following page.