Joseph Smith III (1832-1914)
|Birth||6 November 1832|
Kirtland, Ohio, United States
|Marriage|| Emmeline Griswold, 22 Mar 1856|
Bertha Madison, 12 Nov 1869
Ada R. Clark, 12 Jan 1898
|Death||10 December 1914|
Independence, Missouri, United States
|Religious Influence||Church of Christ (1830), Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints|
|Callings|| Prophet-President of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 1860-1914|
|DBpedia||Joseph Smith III|
|ISNI||0000 0000 7990 4192|
|JSPP||Smith, Joseph III|
|Wikipedia||Joseph Smith III|
|WorldCat||Smith, Joseph III 1832-1914|
Born in Kirtland, Ohio, on 6 November 1832, Joseph Smith III was the son of Joseph Smith Jr. and Emma Hale. He eventually reorganized his father's church and became its prophet-president. He married Emmeline Griswold in 1856 and she died in 1869. Joseph then married Bertha Madison. She died in 1869. He married his last wife, Ada R. Clark, in 1898. Joseph died on 10 December 1914 from a heart seizure.
- One wife, or many (188-?)
- Reply to Orson Pratt (188-?)
- History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints with Heman C. Smith (1897), vol. 1 https://archive.org/details/historychurchje00saingoog and vol. 2 https://archive.org/details/historychurchje01saingoog (accessed 21 Juy 2014).
- Plural marriage in America: A critical examination (1903), https://archive.org/details/pluralmarriagein00smitrich (accessed 18 Jul 2014).
- The memoirs of President Joseph Smith III (1832-1914). Edited by Mary Audentia Smith Anderson. Independence, Missouri: Lyndon W. Cook, 197-.
- The Community of Christ. "Joseph Smith III (1860-1914)." History. http://www.cofchrist.org/history/JSIII.asp (Accessed 12 September 2013).
- Howard, Richard P. The Church Through the Years. 2 vols. Independence, Mo.: Herald Publishing House, 1992-1993.
- The Joseph Smith and Emma Hale Smith Historical Society. "Joseph Smith III." http://josephsmithjr.org/index.php/component/content/article?id=70 (accessed 12 Sep 2013).
- Launius, Roger D. Joseph III: Pragmatic Prophet. Urbana, Ill.: University of Illinois Press, 1988.
- "Pres. Joseph Smith." Autumn Leaves vol. 1, no. 1 (January 1888): 19-21; vol. 1, no 2. (February 1888): 75-77.
- Joseph Smith Jr. (1805-1844) (parent)
- Emma Hale (1804-1879) (parent)
- Alexander Hale Smith (1838-1909) (sibling)
- David Hyrum Smith (1844-1904) (sibling)
- Emmeline Griswold (1838-1869) (spouse)
- Bertha Madison (1843-1896) (spouse)
- Ada Rachel Clark (1871-1915) (spouse)
- Frederick Madison Smith (1874-1946) (child)
- Israel Alexander Smith (1876-1958) (child)
- William Wallace Smith (1900-1989) (child)