Clarissa West Smith (1859-1930)
|Alternate Names||Clarissa S. Williams|
|Birth|| 21 April 1859|
Salt Lake City, Utah Territory, United States
|Marriage||William N. Williams, 17 July 1877|
|Death|| 8 March 1930|
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., Utah, United States
|Religious Influence||The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints|
|Callings|| Treasurer of the Relief Society General Presidency, 1901 - 3 Oct 1910|
First Counselor in the Relief Society General Presidency, 3 Oct 1910 - 2 Apr 1921
Relief Society General President, 2 Apr 1921 - 7 Oct 1928
|DBpedia||Clarissa S. Williams|
|Wikipedia||Clarissa S. Williams|
|WorldCat||Williams, Clarissa Smith 1859-1930|
Born to George A. Smith and his wife Susan E. West, Clarissa West Smith was the first Relief Society General President to be born in Utah. She was born 21 April 1859 in Salt Lake City. In 1877 Clarissa married William N. Williams and the two would eventually have 11 children together. At the University of Deseret she earned a teaching certificate and opened a school in Parowan, Utah. Clarissa started her work in Relief Society leadership in 1901, eventually becoming the General President in 1921. She served until her health started to fail and was released in General Conference of October 1928. She died a few years later, on 8 March 1930, at Salt Lake City.
- Portrait of Clarissa S. Williams. PH 1700 153. Church History Library, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah (hereafter Church History Library). http://churchhistorycatalog.lds.org/primo_library/libweb/action/display.do?doc=ALEPH-PCHD000335830 (accessed 10 Mar 2015).
- Bennett, Evalyn Darger. "Williams, Clarissa." Encyclopedia of Mormonism. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company, 1992. Pages 1567-68. http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Williams,_Clarissa (accessed 13 Mar 2015).
- "Clarissa Smith Williams: Sixth General President of the Relief Society, 1921–1928." LDS.org. https://www.lds.org/callings/relief-society/relief-society-presidents/clarissa-smith-williams (accessed 10 Mar 2015).
- "Clarissa Smith Williams." LDS Women of God. http://www.ldswomenofgod.com/clarissa-smith-williams/ (accessed 10 Mar 2015).
- Derr, Jill Mulvay; Cannon, Janath Russell; Beecher, Maureen Ursenbach. Women of covenant: the story of Relief Society. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company, 1992.
- "Editorial: Our Former President." Relief Society Magazine 17, no. 4 (Apr 1930): 199. http://www.archive.org/stream/reliefsocietymag17reli#page/198/mode/2up (accessed 13 Mar 2015).
- Lyman, Amy Brown. "Clarissa S. Williams." Relief Society Magazine 15, no. 12 (Dec 1928): 639-43. https://archive.org/stream/reliefsocietymag15reli#page/n757/mode/2up (accessed 13 Mar 2015).
- Maxfield, Andrea H. "'The power and influence of woman' : Clarissa Smith Williams (1859-1930)." In Women of faith in the latter-days, volume 3: 1846-1870. Edited by Richard E. Turley Jr. and Brittany A. Chapman. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book, 2014.
- "Our New Presidency and General Board: Sketch of Clarissa Smith Williams." Relief Society Magazine 8, no. 7 (July 1921): 378-80. http://www.archive.org/stream/reliefsocietymag08reli#page/377/mode/2up (accessed 13 Mar 2015).
- Peterson, Janet; Gaunt, LaRene Porter. Elect Ladies: Presidents of the Relief Society. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1990.
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. "Clarissa Smith Williams." Relief Society. https://www.lds.org/callings/relief-society/relief-society-presidents/clarissa-smith-williams (accessed 28 May 2015).
- Various authors. "Tributes to Clarissa Smith Williams." Relief Society Magazine 17, no. 5 (May 1930): 223-30. http://www.archive.org/stream/reliefsocietymag17reli#page/n279/mode/2up (accessed 13 Mar 2015).
- Amy Brown Lyman, General Conference of Relief Society," Relief Society Magazine, (Jun 1921): 319-20, https://archive.org/stream/reliefsocietymag08reli#page/319/mode/2up
- Lyman, "Clarissa S. Williams," Relief Society Magazine, page 639.
- "Editorial: Our Former President," Relief Society Magazine.