Category:Church of Christ (1830)
|Wikipedia||Church of Christ (Latter Day Saints)|
The original name of the church organized by Joseph Smith Jr. in 1830 was the Church of Christ. The official name of the church changed multiple times during Smith's lifetime. It became the Church of the Latter Day Saints in 1834, the Church of Christ of Latter Day Saints in 1836, and finally the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in 1838. At times, it was also referred to as the Church of Jesus Christ and the Church of God. For uniformities sake, all references to this church use "Church of Christ (1830)."
All other sects of the Latter Day Saint movement stem from this original organization. This category is meant to include those various sects that are directly descended from the church Smith organized, those individuals who were part of the church during Smith's lifetime, whether they joined with later sects or not, and those other entities that fall with the 1830 to 1844 time period.
- Anderson, Richard Lloyd. "I Have a Question: What changes have been made in the name of the Church?" Ensign. January 1979. https://www.lds.org/ensign/1979/01/i-have-a-question (accessed 9 Mar 2015).
- Black, Susan Easton. "Name of the Church." Encyclopedia of Mormonism. New York: Macmillan, 1992. Page 979. http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Name_of_the_Church (accessed 9 Mar 2015).
- "Church of Christ." Joseph Smith Papers, Glossary. http://josephsmithpapers.org/topic?name=Church+of+Christ (accessed 9 Mar 2015).
This category has the following 20 subcategories, out of 20 total.
- Church historians
- Church of Christ (Booth)
- Church of Christ (Brewsterite)
- Church of Christ (Parrish)
- Church of Christ (Temple Lot)
- Church of Christ (Whitmerite)
- Church of Christ (Wightite)
- Church of Jesus Christ (Cutlerite)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Strangite)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of the Children of Zion
- Church of Jesus Christ, the Bride, the Lamb's Wife
- Community of Christ
- Council of Fifty