Brigham Young (1801-1877)
From Dictionary of Mormon Biography
|Alternate Names||Brother Brigham, Lion of the Lord, American Moses, Modern Moses, Mormon Moses, Great Colonizer|
|Birth||1 June 1801|
Whitingham, Windham, Vermont, United States
|Marriage||Wives of Brigham Young|
|Death||29 August 1877|
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States
|Religious Influence||Methodist, Church of Christ (1830), The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints|
|Callings|| President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, 1840 - 27 Dec 1847|
President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 27 Dec 1847 - 29 Aug 1877
|Occupations||Carpenter, painter, glazier, colonizer; Governor of Utah Territory, 3 Feb 1851 - 12 Apr 1858|
|ISNI||0000 0001 2118 1785|
|WorldCat||Young, Brigham 1801-1877|
- The resurrection: a discourse by Brigham Young, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, delivered in the New Tabernacle, Salt Lake City, at the General Conference, October 8th, 1875. (1875)
- Discourses of Brigham Young, selected and arranged by John A. Widtsoe (1925)
- The essential Brigham Young (1992)
- The complete discourses of Brigham Young, 5 volumes, edited by Richard S. Van Wagoner (2009)
- Brigham Young office files, 1832-1878 (bulk 1844-1877). CR 1234 1. Church History Library, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah (hereafter Church History Library). http://churchhistorycatalog.lds.org/primo_library/libweb/action/display.do?doc=ALEPH-PCHD000280345 (accessed 27 Jan 2015).
- Brigham Young collection, 1846-1968 (bulk 1846-1872). WC004. Princeton University Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections. http://pudl.princeton.edu/objects/7p88ch283 (accessed 23 Oct 2015).
- Brigham Young papers, 1857-1877. MS 16924. Church History Library. http://churchhistorycatalog.lds.org/primo_library/libweb/action/display.do?doc=ALEPH-PCHD001764506 (accessed 27 Jan 2015).
- Brigham Young letters, 1876-1877. MS 5519 1. Church History Library. http://churchhistorycatalog.lds.org/primo_library/libweb/action/display.do?doc=ALEPH-PCHD000099106 (accessed 27 Jan 2015).
- Alexander, Thomas G. Brigham Young, the Quorum of the Twelve, and the Latter-day Saint investigation of the Mountain Meadows Massacre. Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 2007.
- Arrington, Leonard J. Brigham Young: American Moses. Urbana, Ill.: University of Illinois Press, 1986.
- Bagley, Will. Blood of the prophets: Brigham Young and the massacre at Mountain Meadows. Norman, Oklahoma: University of Oklahoma Press, 2002.
- Bringhurst, Newell G. Brigham Young and the expanding American frontier. Boston: Little, Brown, 1986.
- Burt, Olive Woolley. Brigham Young. New York: Julian Messner Inc, 1956.
- "The Death of Brigham Young." Salt Lake Tribune 13, no. 106 (30 Aug 1877): 4. http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm/ref/collection/slt3/id/15274 (accessed 13 Mar 2015).
- "Death of President Brigham Young." Deseret News 26, no. 31 (5 Sep 1877): 488. http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm/ref/collection/deseretnews3/id/152095 (accessed 13 Mar 2015).
- Esshom, Frank. "Young, Brigham." Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah. Salt Lake City: Utah Pioneers Book Publishing Company, 1913. Pages 1267-1270. http://pioneers.rstebbing.com/Y.html#young-brigham (accessed 7 Mar 2015).
- Gates, Susa Young. The life story of Brigham Young. New York: Macmillan, 1930.
- Gunderson, Cory Gideon. Brigham Young: pioneer and prophet. Mankato, Minnesota: Bridgestone Books, 2003.
- Hirshson, Stanley P. The Lion of the Lord: a biography of Brigham Young. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1969.
- Jenson, Andrew. "Young, Brigham." LDS Biographical Encyclopedia, vol. 1. Salt Lake City, Utah: Andrew Jenson History Company, 1901. Pages 8-14. http://archive.org/stream/latterdaysaintbi01bjens#page/8/mode/2up (accessed 12 Mar 2015).
- _______. "Young, Brigham." LDS Biographical Encyclopedia, vol. 4. Salt Lake City: Andrew Jenson Memorial Company, 1936. Page 321. http://archive.org/stream/latterdaysaintbi04jens#page/320/mode/2up and Page 724. http://archive.org/stream/latterdaysaintbi04jens#page/724/mode/2up (accessed 9 Sep 2013).
- "Obituary." Deseret News 26, no. 31 (5 Sep 1877): 488-89. http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm/ref/collection/deseretnews3/id/152095 (accessed 13 Mar 2015).
- Orton, Chad M.; Slaughter, William W. 40 Ways to Look at Brigham Young: A New Approach to a Remarkable Man. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 2008.
- Roberts, David. Devil's gate: Brigham Young and the great Mormon handcart tragedy. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2008.
- Sanford, William R.; Green, Carl R. Brigham Young: pioneer and Mormon leader. Springfield, NJ: Enslow Publishers, 1996.
- _______. Brigham Young: courageous Mormon leader. Berkeley Heights, NJ: Enslow Publishers, 2013.
- Simon, Charnan. Brigham Young: Mormon and pioneer. New York: Children's Press, 1998.
- Taves, Ernest H. This is the place: Brigham Young and the new Zion. Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books, 1991.
- Turner, John. Brigham Young: Pioneer Prophet. Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2012.
- West, Ray Benedict. Kingdom of the Saints: the story of Brigham Young and the Mormons. New York: Viking Press, 1957.
- "Death of President Brigham Young," Deseret News, 5 Sep 1877, 488.
- "The Death of Brigham Young." Salt Lake Tribune, 30 Aug 1877, 4.
- Historian's Office general Church minutes, 1839-1877, entry for 27 Dec 1847, CR 100 318, Church History Library.
- "Young, Brigham," Joseph Smith Papers, http://josephsmithpapers.org/person?name=Brigham+Young
- "Utah's new capitol grows from humble beginning; first political sessions were held in council house; fight for statehood". Salt Lake Telegram. October 22, 1916.
- Whitney, History of Utah, vol. 1, page 672.